The bloggers recipe is nice and refreshing..
I added tomato puree instead of grated tomato..
Things needed to make Ma’s Special Chicken Curry:
- Chicken (on bone): 700 gm (cut into 12 pieces)
- Potato: 5-6 small or 2 large cut into quarters
- Red Onion or shallots (finely chopped): 1/2 cup
- Garlic (crushed): 2 tbsp
- Ginger (grated): 1 tbsp
- Tomato (grated): 1 large
- Cumin powder: 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Red chili powder: 1-2 tsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder: 1 tsp
- Cinnamon stick: 1
- Green cardamom: 4-5
- Cloves: 5-6
- Green chilies: 5-6
- Mustard oil: 3-4 tbsp*
- Vinegar: 2 tbsp
- Sugar: 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
*Mustard oil is a must ingredient for this dish.
Steps of making Ma’s Special Chicken Curry:
1. Clean the chicken pieces, pat them dry. Marinate the chicken pieces with vinegar and red chili powder. Peel the potatoes, if you are using large potatoes then cut them into quarters. I prefer to use small potatoes and keep them whole.
2. Heat mustard oil in a pan, fry the potatoes till nicely brown from all sides. Keep aside.
3. Add more oil to the same pan, when the oil is hot, reduce heat and add a teaspoon full sugar. Add crushed garlic. Cook for 1 min, or till the garlic starts to change red, add the whole spices cinnamon, green cardamom and cloves. Cook for 1-2 min.
4. Add finely chopped onion and cook till nicely brown. Add grated ginger, mix well and cook for 2 min. Add grated tomato (discard the seeds), mix well and cover the pan, cook over medium flame for 2-3 min.
5. Add the dry spices, turmeric powder, cumin powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, along with a spoon full of water, mix well. Cook over low heat for 3 min, keep stirring. Add the chicken pieces. Discard any excess vinegar. Add salt and mix well. For the first 5-6 min cook over high heat and keep stirring continuously. Reduce heat to medium and cover the pan and cook for 10 min. The chicken will release a considerable amount of water. Uncover and cook till oil separates from the spices. At this point there will be very less water, so be careful not to burn the meat pieces.
6. Add 1.5 cups of hot water. Let it boil. Add the fried potatoes, cover the pan and cook till the potatoes are done. Check seasoning and adjust accordingly. Add garam masala powder, green chilies (use whole, this to impart a distinct flavor), switch off the heat. Cover the pan and let it rest for 10 min. Serve hot with steaming hot rice.